The Latvian Society of Ultrasound (LUSA) was established on June 5th, 2003. llze Sedleniece was elected President of the association in a general meeting of founders, and served till 2011 when the current President, Maija Radzina took over.
In June 5th, 2004 during the Congress of European Federation of Societies for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology Euroson 2004 in Zagreb the Latvian Society of Ultrasound was approved as a member of European Federation of Societies for Ultrasound in Medicine and Biology (EFSUMB).
As of now, the LUSA unites 180 members.
During 2003-2011, a lot of effort was directed towards educating the members of the LUSA. Since 2004, a delegation of LUSA members (40-50 people) are complementing their knowledge each year by attending the Congress of European Ultrasound EUROSON.
Since 2003 LUSA is hosting bi-yearly (last week of November and May) conferences for its members.
List of the most significant courses:
- September 17-18, 2004 IBUS (International Breast Ultrasound School) Advanced Breast Imaging Seminar;
- January 14-17, 2008 Course of lectures on brachiocephal, transcranial, peripheral and abdominal Doppler ultrasound, by prof. Svetlana Leljuka (Moscow, Russia)
- May 22-24, 2009 SIS (Senologic International Society) Breast Imaging Course by prof. Ivan Drinkovitsch (Croatia), prof. Tibor Tot (Sweden) and Dominique Ami (France)
- Autumn 2010 Several 3 day courses in regions of Latvia for doctors of all specialities “Interpretation of Ultrasound Imaging For Non-Radiologists” by Maija Radzina and Ilze Sedleniece. More than 300 professionals were trained with the support of ESF project “Further Education of Personnel in Health Care and Health Promotion Institutions for the Purpose of Sustainable Growth of the Industry”
- March 17-19, 2011 3 day course “Ultrasonography in Pediatrics” by Hungarian specialists prof. Zoltan Harkanyi and George Harmat with an active participation of pediatricians and pediatristic US specialists Dace Kreicsteine and Arturs Plume more than 100 doctors were trained with support of ESF project “Further Education of Personnel in Health Care and Health Promotion Institutions for the Purpose of Sustainable Growth of the Industry”
Partners: EFSUMB, Latvian Association of Radiology, Latvian Medical Association, Latvian Association of Musculosceletal Radiology, Latvian Internist Association, Latvian Endocrinologist Association, Latvian Surgeon Association.
There are several on-going courses now: General US Method, Blood Vessel US, Nerve US, Musculoskeletal US, Breast US